Bus service in KanyakumariKanyakumari District was once a part of Travancore Princely State. At the time when Sir C. P. Ramaswamy Iyer was the Dewan of Travancore, The Trivandrum to Nagercoil Highway road was constructed with cement. This was the first road to be constructed with cement in India. From 1914, through this road, the First Bus service in Kanyakumari ran between Trivandrum to Nagercoil and vice versa. This Bus was called the Eight Seater. Eight passengers can travel in this bus and hence the name as “Eight Seater”.

double deckerAt that time people were very eager to travel in this bus. The people who travelled in this bus were very proud of their travel. Even some people were afraid to travel in the bus. They even told that due to the noise of the bus, their hens didn’t laid eggs. The first Bus service was started by the “Laxmi Vilas Company”. The proprietor of this company was Kutty Nadar from a town named “Pilipunam”. Later this bus was bought from them by the “Pioneer”. From 21st February 1938, the Travancore Government started the bus service in the name of “London Passenger” for the first time. The bus ran in ……….. engine. These buses ran between Thiruvattar, Kulasekharam etc. From 1950’s, the Petrol engine busses were introduced. The Travancore Government bought new busses in the name of “International”. Later Benz, Leyland buses were also bought. For the first time in 1954, the Travancore Government introduced “Double Decker” bus service from Trivandrum to Nagercoil and vice versa. This service was in existence till 1st November 1956 when Kanyakumari District was merged with Tamil Nadu. After the merging with Tamil Nadu, the bus service continued in the name of “Kanyakumari Transport Corporation”. Later on the private bus service were changed to Government services. When Mr. K. Karunanidhi was the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the name was changed as “Kattabomman Transport Corporation”. When Puratchi Thalaivar M.G.R. became the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, again the bus service name was changed to “Nesamony Transport Corporation”. Now all the bus services are changed to the name of “Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation” (TNSTC) and now our Kanyakumari district is connected to all the major cities and to small villages & towns.

Share this: