Vattakottai Fort Kanyakumari | Circular Fort Kanyakumari | Vattakottai Beach | Vattakottai Fort History
Vattakottai Fort, also known as Circular Fort was built in the 18th century by the Travancore kingdom. It was built during the reign of King Marthanda Varma under the supervision of Captain De Lennoy.
It was erected on the Bay of Bengal sea shore as the coastal defence point to safe guard the coastal side from any attacks.
Vattakottai Fort Tourism
Vattakottai Fort is a popular tourist spot in Kanyakumari district. The fort is very beautiful and is a great place for picnic. The fort is mostly surrounded by the sea and watching from the fort is very pleasant. The seashore is full of coconut trees which gives a greenery look. Picturesque view of sea on one side and Western Ghats (hill) on the other side is awesome. On the south west side from this fort, you could view the Thiruvalluvar Statue and Vivekanandar Rock. On the east side, you could view the Koodankulam Power Plant.
The beach is so beautiful with black coloured sands. But you should use extreme caution to get close to the sea water as it is not recommended since the sea is striking roughly.
There is a small garden for kids to play.
Reaching Vattakottai Fort
Location: Vattakottai, 6 km from Kanyakumari
Nearest Airport: Thiruvananthapuram (100km) / Madurai (242km) / Tuticorin (117km)
Nearest Railway Station: Kanyakumari / Nagercoil (18km)
Bus facility is available often from Kanyakumari and Nagercoil. Cabs are also available.
Timing: 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM
Ticket: Adult = Rs.15/-; Kids = Rs.10/-
Video of Vattakottai Fort
History of Vattakottai Fort
The fort is built of granite blocks on a total area of three and a half acres. On the entrance, the Sangu emblem of Travancore can be found. The height of the walls is 29 feet. The front walls have the thickness of 29 feet, the side walls thickness is 18 feet and the backside is 6 feet thick.
The stone steps lead us to the top of the fort, where there is an arch on the wall with a small hole for spying. It is said that in olden time, the observers could watch up to Padmanabhapuram Palace. There was also a secret passage tunnel which connected the fort with Padmanabhapuram Palace, which was later closed.
The fort has Watch Towers, Rest room, weapon rooms and a pool in the centre of the fort. There are fish mark carvings in the mandapams which ascertains us that this fort might be under the rule of the Pandya Kings.
In 1634 AD, Thirumalai Nayakar invaded Travancore and destroyed the military bases of this fort. Later in 1725 AD, another invasion by Alagappa Chettiar also destroyed this fort.
Presently this fort is a protected monument and is maintained by the Indian Archaeological department.
And finally, as the name suggest literally as circular fort (in Tamil known as Vatta Kottai; Vattam = circular & Kottai = fort), the actual shape of this fort is rectangular. It is unknown how it got its name!!